Has anyone's dog failed thier blood test?

Guest smithettes

Guest smithettes

I got my dogs blood test results yesterday, and it came up that he had leprotosis anti-bodies in his blood. My export person says that he needs to be retested in 2 weeks. He is at a level that is excecptable in the UK so he wants to send him out, but doesn't know if Sydney will except him or let him out of quarantine. I don't want to spend £3,500 to have him sent over if he only ends up being destroyed over there. Has anyone else had a similar problem and what happened?

I'm gutted and don't know what to do as we are all meant to being moving out there next week.

Kellyx

Kelly, Easy I know but dont worry just yet. A friend of mine on here Karlewi, their dog failed his a few weeks ago and they re did the test and that got the thumbs up this week that it is all ok and he is now ready to fly to them in Perth !!

Let us know how the 2nd test goes and ile keep my fingers crossed for you xx

Guest Birdiesinoz
I got my dogs blood test results yesterday, and it came up that he had leprotosis anti-bodies in his blood. My export person says that he needs to be retested in 2 weeks. He is at a level that is excecptable in the UK so he wants to send him out, but doesn't know if Sydney will except him or let him out of quarantine. I don't want to spend £3,500 to have him sent over if he only ends up being destroyed over there. Has anyone else had a similar problem and what happened?

I'm gutted and don't know what to do as we are all meant to being moving out there next week.

Kellyx

Hi Kelly

Before we came over 5 years ago, one of my german shepherds failed her blood test twice. Airpets (who we used) issued her with some medication and on the third attempt she passed the bloods (whew). She got through quarantine is is still enjoying her relaxed life here in Oz (she is almost 10 now).

kind regards

Guest 1010ozzy

Hi Kelly

when your dog had his last anual jabs were you advised not to have the leprotosis part of the vaccine?

Thats what we have been told because if they have the vaccine it shows positive in the blood test and can then cause the problems you are having

Dawn

Thanks for your replies, Ill keep my fingers crossed and keep youy updated.

Kelly & Bear x

Every dog fails if it has lepto as part of the jabs, they retest after 2 weeks t9o see if the levelshave risen 99% they dont ans its bobs your uncle and you`re £40 out of pocket

Mally

Guest HappyBunny

We had our boy vaccinated at beginning of May and because we didn't think we would get our visas until Aug/Sept let him have lepto. We got our visa the week after which dramatically brought our departure date forward. Our girl was vaccinated end of May without lepto so was fine but we were worried sick about him failing his bloods as the guidelines recommend something like 6 months from the last lepto vaccine to get it out of their system.

He had his bloods done in August, just 13 weeks after his vaccine and passed. We were told that if he failed there was a really good chance he would pass after another couple of weeks anyway. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry. xx

Feel for you...................been there done that in the nicest possible way! Please see my previous posts re:Lepto and hoping the info may help?..............I ended up leaving mine as I didn't want to split them up........I lost my Eldest in September.......I'm SAD but proud........She was 18! All the best for the future with youe Doggies/Dog

Guest The Pom Queen

Kelly

Please don't worry, this is something that comes up quite often and is usually because the dogs have been vaccinated against Lepto at an earlier date. Do you know what the titre reading was?

Please people remember that vaccinations against Leptospira interrogans.var. canicola is not recommended within 6 months of export as a high antibody response may result in the individual being ineligible for export to Australia.

To allow the dog to Australia one of the following must be completed by the vet:

(Remember,because titres are written by dilution factor, 1:800 is a higher titre than 1:400

which is higher than 1:100)

a) Within 30 days prior to the scheduled date of export, a blood sample is taken from the said animal and sent to the Veterinary Laboritories Agency (VLA) , Weybridge and subjected to the microscopic agglutination test (MAT) for Leptospira Canicola with a negative result (negative is less than 50% agglutination at 1:100);

OR

b) Where the first blood sample showed a positive titre of not more than 1:400 for Leptospira Canicola a second blood sample, collected at an interval of not less than 14 days following the date of the first sampling, is also tested and shows no increase in the titre above that of the first test;

Dogs that record a result of over 1:400 (ie. 1:800) are ineligible for import.

If this occurs it is often sensible to simply re-test as a lower titre can often be achieved. It is possible to attempt a course of treatment and then re-test (using doxycycline orally for 14 days or dihydrostreptomycin injections for 5 days).

Kate

Ps I worked in a veterinary hospital hence the info.

Guest spottymercedes

Hi there,

My dog failed the blood test too and I panicked like mad too. Everyone says don't panic, but you can't help yourself. I kept saying 'I'm not going without my baby', but it was fine on the 2nd test and all went well.

Try not to stress as it doesn't help. Hopefully all of the replies on here will help put your mind at ease.

Guest spottymercedes
good luck with bloods im worried too, our dog has his 19th january ..

Hello Sharon,

Jack will be ok. Your'e not worried about the bloods are you? I guess its natural to be a bit worried about your spotted baby! You'd never want to be without them would you. :wub:

xxx

Hi,

our dog failed his blood tests for Ehrlicia and Lepto. We were advised that it is quite common to get a false result and were told to get another test carried out as soon as we could. This time he passed the Lepto but was still showing positive for Ehrlicia. Our flights were booked so we had to leave him with my parents whilst we flew out to Oz. It was devastating.

He then had a 4 weeks course of anti-biotics and was tested again and again he failed. Once again we were so upset. Our vet spoke to the testing lab and was told that there were lots of dogs failing this particular test. My husband called Australian quarantine and hey said that they were aware that there maybe a problem with the test and it is currently being reviewed, but there is no timescale or any indication what this actually means for those dogs currently being tested. The vet also spoke to DEFRA who also said that they were aware that there were dogs failing this test but there was little that they could do about it.

Our vet and Airpets, who have been brilliant throughout the whole saga, suggested another antibiotic. So we decided to give it one last try and I'm pleased to say that a month later her passed his test and he should have landed a Sydney this morning which should mean that he should be with us before the end of the year.

Our £80 rescue dog has now cost us most of our savings but worth every penny! The fact that he would fail his test never occurred to us - we were worried about going for our medicals and believed that his blood tests would simply be a formality and I would urge anyone due to go for these tests to make a back up plan. We were lucky to have family to take him in for a short time but the thought of having to get him rehomed and not knowing where he would end up has been so stressfull, especially as we were already in Australia.

To all of you who are going through this I sympathise and wish you all the best.

Good luck

Kat

x

Kelly, Easy I know but dont worry just yet. A friend of mine on here Karlewi, their dog failed his a few weeks ago and they re did the test and that got the thumbs up this week that it is all ok and he is now ready to fly to them in Perth !!

Let us know how the 2nd test goes and ile keep my fingers crossed for you xx

Hi there

Yes one of our dogs (18 month old Border Collie - Skye) did fail a blood test, but it was Leshmaniosis (sand fly). I was deverstated so I absolutely know what you have been going through. I read up all the symptoms and did not believe he had the disease. Thankfully a week later a we got a negative result - but it was a very stressful week.

Skye and our 8 year old Beagle (Cyder), plus our Cat (Willow) arrived in Perth last Wedneday - we drove down to Byford to see them on Friday and what a relief it was. Despite being in kennels/cattery for almost three weeks, as well as the long flight, they all looked extremely healthy. The people at Byford are absolutely lovely and very helpful. We were able to book a run and took them out and played with them - I cannot wait for the 20 Dec when we can take them home.

Whilst at Byford I spoke to a lady who had bought three dogs over - (we had to leave Barney our 6 year old Beagle behind with my son, but I would love to bring him over). We are going to find out about having a third as it doesn't seem quite as difficult as we were lead to believe in the UK and I cannot face leaving Barney behind for too long - my son said he looks very lonely. Just need to convince my son who is 19 that he needs to come here too, albeit I'm rather optimistic - he did come over to validate his visa and by all accounts enjoyed himself.

Anybody looking to send their dogs/cats over - I could highly recommend Par Air from Colchester, they obviously took good care of our animals for the three weeks before flying. They also made the whole paper process so easy.

Karen x :cute:

• 8 months later...

Hi Dave & kelly

I know this is an old post but please reply if you get it and let me know how you are settling In.

i f you dont remember me its Shane I sold your house in Underlane.

We have just sent off our TRA finally and are awaiting the reply.

Hope your all ok

Shane

Guest r17ych

Kellyx

Hi is that what it costs to take your dog over? And how long are they in quarantine before you get them back?

Thanks

r17ych - the cost varies based on the size of your dog, or rather the size of the crate, but yes £3500 would be about right for an adult labrador to pay airfare, vets fees and quarantine.

Quarantine for a UK dog (who has not been outside the Uk for 6mths previous to dpearture) should be 30days.

Guest r17ych

Thanks for the info. I have since been in touch with a company, and because our dog is a shih Tzu (small) it is only going to cost me @ £1500.

Archived